Friday, December 22, 2006

Cooking for family... OR... something different for everyone.

Well.. My sister Judy and her husband came over for dinner tonight. I like hanging out with Judy a lot. I felt like cooking dinner for everyone. The problem was that no one could agree on anything. I did not want to eat any meat as I had fish and pultry 2 days in a row. That's a lot for me now.. Judy was on board with veggies but likes her food very plain. Her husband Brian won't eat vegetarian unless he is tied up or you trick him. My Dad was in the mood for fish... So... I was off to Trader Joe's.
Here's what I made (sorry, forgot to take photos).
Judy and I got steamed brown rice, sauteed carrots and yellow squash in olive oil with a little salt. Stir fried Kale and other greens (青炒) and yellow cord (I tried roasting one piece in my little toaster oven for fun.. It was pretty good.
Also, I made myself a curry bean stew.
For Dad, fish and chips. But, I supstituted hash browns for the chips.
Brian got chicken taqitos with cheese, guacamole and salsa.
How's that for a family dinner? My mom was too sick to eat or I may have
tried to recreate the wonderful sesame tuna steaks I made a couple days ago. I used a sauce I brought back from Taiwan called 生菜涼麵醬 made by 綠主張 brand. I added some soy sauce, garlic and a little wine. Then broiled them to perfection (well, I over cooked them just a tad). I am also enjoying the 麻油辣椒醬 my auntie gave me to bring home. MMMmmmmmmm.....

1 comment:

Prince Roy said...

it sounds like you've become quite the chef. Maybe instead of having your martial arts studio on the second floor you can be the assistant chef in my restaurant (probably soon-to-be-promoted to head chef).

I can see us now: 老外炒菜. I'm sure we'd be a huge hit if nothing more for the novelty.