Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dan Dan Cookies. aka 醜餅乾


OK.. The time came again to try and make up my own cookie recipe. This one was pretty good.
I felt a bit playful when dropping the dough and laying the toppings. I made one that I like to call Mr. Bill. See him in the middle???

Anyway, I laid the dough with a dimple in the middle so I could add some filling or toppings. For some, I used an almond butter and brown sugar filling then added a couple nuts or chocolate chips. On others I used apricot jam, nuts and dried cranberry.
The dough went like this:
3/4 of one stick of unsalted butter.
1/2 cup of pure maple syrup.
1 tsp vanilla.
1/2 tsp baking soda.
1 cup whole wheat flour.
1/2 cup all purpose flour.
1/4 each of corn meal and almond meal.
1/8 cup oat bran.

First soften the butter and whisk until fluffy. Then add the syrup, vanilla and baking soda and whisk well.
Put all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well, then add to wet ingredients and mix well.
There you have the dough.. Simple, eh?
Now put table spoon sized scoops on a greased cooking sheet and use the round side of the spoon to make a dimple or well in the dough. Lay your filling of choice in there.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake in center or upper rack for 10 to 15 minutes (when edges turn a nice golden brown).

These little darlings are not totally unhealthy either. As long as you are not allergic to almonds, that is.
If you like it, let me know. Also, if you change something or use a different filling and it works nicely, let me know... Please.
Ahdoga.

No comments: