Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Baking Wars- DMZ (Danny meets Zoe)


Well, here is my little ode to baked goods.
It was Z's birthday this month so I surprised her with a strawberry short cake from Whole Foods. They use better, more natural ingredients than most places, so we don't feel as guilty about eating their stuff. And we ate way too much... OK, I ate way too much.


For our next selection; Zoe's little bread.

I later called this little bread "piggy-tail bread". See the photo for explanation. She made this egg bread dough very light. Not too eggy. It was really good. The texture was just a tiny bit chewy, while still soft. I think I now know what Taiwanese people mean when they say something is "Q". The crust was crispy and light. A very nice product. She made a 3 day supply. It lasted the night. Ummm... I am starting to resemble the cutting board.


Not to be outdone, I decided to make cookies tonight. I did not want to make my usual cookies.. Although my cookies are really damn good (shameless plug), I felt like trying something different.. Something Zoe would not have tried before.
I made Hamantaschen.


They are a triangle shaped cookies filled with a variety of fillings. I made the dough and let it chill. I had to improvise on the filling as I did not have what I originally wanted. I settled on honey-almond-cranberry for the filling.I was worried about the dough while I was shaping them, but all came out well. The texture was really great and I thought the only thing I could/should have done differently was add a dash of cinnamon to the filling. Zoe agreed with me on that, saying so while I was chomping on a HMT. I like the layers of pastry/filling/pastry. Over all, I was happy with the product. But, next time I am going to add cinnamon!

6 comments:

Moo said...

Heehee..the piggytail looks so cute! Zoee...you have to make it when you're here in april! :P

AhDoGa said...

Zoe never told me she was going there in April! What's going on???

Anonymous said...

Hello,

there is not another possibility here to communicate with you, as I see, so I am writing here.

I am a woman, writing you from Europe.I would like to have the email adress of David Witty in Taiwan, if possible: I met him many years ago on the canarian island Gomera... and fell in love with him on the evening of his last holiday day...:-))
Maybe he remembers me too... I have never forgot him...
Do you have his email addy?..Or could you eventuel ask his permission to give it to me?

Mine is: kehlana-at-yahoo-com

Thank you so much and excuse me for writing here... :))

Many blessings

Anonymous said...

Hey Danny, thank you so much, you cannot imagine what great joy it is for me to be again in contact with David..:-)))

May you be rewarded a million time for your kindness, and may your life be smooth and joyful, and with much fun..:-))

God bless you and yours,

Carla*

AhDoGa said...

Thanks Carla. I just told David to check out your post.
Hopefully the baking posts are not too boring???

Anonymous said...

Not boring at all, Danny, you make me hungry. Strange idea however to bake Pretzels by yourself. I didnt know that Poland also offers Pretzel, I thought it was a specialty of Bavaria only..:-)))

Your Blog is a rich one, I consider myself lucky to have discovered it.

Joyous blessings,

Carla*