Wednesday, January 10, 2007

日出大地-乳酪蛋糕.牛軋糖(台中)

I just cracked into a box of candy my wife brought me from Taiwan. It's from a pretty cool and very popular bakery/candy store in the Taichung area called Dawn Cakes (日出大地)

The candy is calle niu2ga2tang2 牛軋糖 in Mandarin and is pretty much what it translates to... Nougat... But, it's good nougat. The box has two flavors, original and coffee. Both have nuts and are quite tasty. The really cool thing is the packaging.
Each nougat is individually wrapped and has a Chinese or Taiwanese saying on it.
Also, the box is made to look like a book. Here:






Examples of some of the sayings are:
一食二穿,三才作人情 (你送禮如此用心,提醒了朋友〔禮輕人意重〕的古訓)
Cool stuff. Learn while you snack. And the sugar high will help you with retention. Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had these just a month ago, I like the original (with the almonds) better than then other one.

It's funny how the statements make no sense but all of a sudden spring to life once you read them in Taiwanese.

AhDoGa said...

Yeah, I also like the regular better than the coffee. I don't speak Taiwanese, so I have fun letting my wife read them to me and explain them in English or Mandarin.
If I move back to TW, which is likely in the near future, I will take Taiwanese classes. My wife's family all speak Taiwanese at home and only speak Mandarin to me. It's a bit awkward.