Tuesday, October 26, 2004

MSNBC - Taiwan calls Powell speech ?big surprise?

OK.. Yesterday was my birthday and I was really sick. I thought that would just ruin it and make me miserable. But my wife came in and took care of me. It was really touching. The way she looked after me made me remember how lucky I am. And even though I am still sick and miserable, I know my wife really cares about me.
And she is now a U.S. citizen.

On another front: Powell shoots his mouth off again. The Bush administration seems to be in favor of unification yet enjoys the profits in selling defensive arms to Taiwan.
Doesn't it seem a bit strange that on one hand they call for a unification they know is not possible under current situations.
It is obvious that this is a game being played for profit. Each time the U.S. can raise tensions between China and Taiwan over the one China policy, China talks tough with Taiwan, and often demonstrates its might. In turn Taiwan buys more defensive weapons from..... The U.S.A.!!! Boy, imagine if you had customers who could be manipulated in this way?
Sadly, they are playing with fire. If they are not careful, they may someday get their wish and a war between China and Taiwan will occur before the two sides have a chance to work out a peace plan that works for their needs.
That's my two cents for the day. If I took more time I could write a paper on this issue of western manipulation of cross-straight issues, but who would read it?

MSNBC - Taiwan calls Powell speech ?big surprise?: "TAIPEI, Taiwan - Secretary of State Colin Powell has angered Taiwanese officials and lawmakers by making unusually strong comments denying that the island is an independent nation and suggesting Taiwan should unify with China. "

No comments: